If you have a blog or a web site with an “about me” page, you might want to highlight your social networks, like Facebook or LinkedIn. Each social network makes it easy to create a “badge” — an image that promotes the social network site and links to your profile. Read on to learn how to make yours!
We’ll start with Facebook.com.
- Log In to your Facebook account.
- Go to your profile page:
- Scroll to the bottom of the left hand column. You’ll see a link to create your profile badge:
- Select “Create A New Badge” and you’ll see this widget:
- For this example, we are selecting a vertical “image”. I’m changing “name” because this badge is going on my own sites; the name seems redundant. I’m changing it to “websites” by selecting it from the drop-down menu (click on the arrow). I’m deleting “networks” because it’s more information than I want share on the badge. Click “save.”
- After you click “save”, Facebook generates the badge and provides you with the code (HTML) that you need to embed the image in your blog or web site:
- Copy and paste the code. It should look (and act) something like this:
Now we’ll create a LinkedIn badge.
- Log In to your LinkedIn account.
- Select the “Profile” link from the left-hand navigation bar:
- Be sure you are in “Edit Profile” mode:
- Scroll to the bottom of the edit summary. Select the “edit” “Public Profile” link. (Yes, it is confusing!)
- Next, select “Promote your profile with customized buttons” (we’re almost there!):
- There isn’t as much customization at LinkedIn as there is at Facebook. Pick the style that is aesthetically pleasing to you, and then copy the code (HTML):
There you have it! Easy-to-create “badges” that help you promote your social networks.